Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
History, Facts and Overview
(Kansas City, Missouri - MO, USA)
Kansas City Airport was originally built in 1951 following considerable flood damage at the nearby Fairfax Airport, so that Trans World Airlines (TWA) could continue operating here. Known at this state as the Kansas City Industrial Airport, construction work was quick and basic services soon resumed once more. Soon after, the name was changed to the Mid-Continent International Airport (hence today's code of MCI) and in 1955 TWA actually leased the airport and oversaw many improvements.
At this time, the existing Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport (Kansas City Downtown Airport) was deemed unsuitable for the up-and-coming jet-plane age of Boeing 747s, being surrounded by skyscrapers and close to a number of steep hills.
Mid-Continent (MCI) was however sited next to large expanses of open farmland and so in 1966, more than $150 million was spent upgrading the airport. Today, known officially as the Kansas City International Airport (MCI), recent improvements include terminal upgrades in 2004 costing more than $250 million, and a large new hire car facility.
Facilities at Kansas City International Airport more than meet the needs of travelers, with cash machines, visual paging screens, free Wi-Fi, family restrooms, and business centers, which are located in each of the terminals. Also onsite are more than 20 different stores, cafés and restaurants. These include the Budweiser Stadium Club, the Home Turf Sports Bar, the KC Marketplace, and the Fly-Bay bar, which serves traditional American hot dogs whilst providing excellent views across the runways.